Home Made Cam Clamps - Lighter Than Commercial Ones !
You need lots of these !
Made from a 25mm slab of beech (after planing), some roll pins and
20mm x 6mm aluminium bar (very light weight). They cost a lot less than the
Klemmsia clamps (but a fair bit of work is needed for each one) and are also
a fair bit lighter. I plan on joining the back to the sides with cam clamps
so I want them to be lightweight.
I also bought a number of Klemmsia clamps. Additionally, I had
a number of spring clamps, G clamps and F clamps handy.
Number 4 plane, number 5 plane, block plane.
Sharpening stone (I use a Japanese waterstone).
Lots of clamps (many cam, F, G, spring, strap, etc).
Lots of sand paper - 40, 80, 120, 240 grit. (Plus finer grits for finishing).
Glue - Titebond. (Also IPS Weld-On #16 for plastic bindings).
Lots of clothes pegs
Rulers, set squares, straight edges.
A dremel rotary tool came in handy.
A router (I used both a router table and a handheld Trend T3).
Access to power tools is very useful, but not essential (I had access
to band saws, a table saw, a rotary sander, planers, a thicknesser
and a pillar drill).
Lots of scrap wood (for making jigs, cauls, wedges, etc).
A non-slip mat was really handy for sanding, chiselling and even routing
with a few clamps to act as end stops.
Router Binding Attachment
The ledges for the binding and purfling need to be perpendicular
to the sides. This is not the same as being perpendicular to the
top and back, since they are radiused. I built a jig to use a
twin flute router cutter (rather than a more expensive rebate cutter)
in order to cut ledges of a set depth.
Alternative (but more costly) approaches are to use a laminate trimmer,
a custom built jig based on parallelograms or rebate cutters with a set
of different sized bearings.